Re: Installing data in heirarchical fashion

From: Benoit Sigoure
Subject: Re: Installing data in heirarchical fashion
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2007 17:19:24 +0100

On Nov 20, 2007, at 5:03 PM, David Bruce wrote:

Hi,

I'm trying to rewrite my Makefile.am's to make better use of Automake's built-in variables. I'm a little stuck on how to get my program's (tuxmath) data files installed in a heirarchical tree. My current scheme puts the data
under /usr/local/share/tuxmath, with deeper directories such
as /usr/local/share/tuxmath/images, /usr/local/share/tuxmath/images/ backgrounds,
and so forth.

If I just use:

dist_pkgdata_DATA = bkgd1.jpg bkgd2.jpg bkgd3.jpg

in my Makefile.am for the backgrounds subdirectory, the files just wind up in
$(pkgdata) itself, i.e. /usr/local/share/tuxmath.

Is there a proper, automated, "Automake Way" to get the whole data tree
installed in the desired location?

Hi David,
create the directory hierarchy in your source tree and then list all the files in nobase_dist_pkgdata_DATA, e.g.:
  nobase_dist_pkgdata_DATA = images/vortex.pgm sounds/whirl.ogg
See: http://www.gnu.org/software/automake/manual/html_node/ Alternative.html

Benoit Sigoure aka Tsuna
EPITA Research and Development Laboratory