Re: Automatically Handling Tools that Produce Many Outputs

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: Automatically Handling Tools that Produce Many Outputs
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2007 13:28:15 -0600 (CST)

On Tue, 27 Nov 2007, Olly Betts wrote:
My experience is that multi-output rules often aren't protected at all,
and parallel make is unreliable on such projects.  This is becoming much
more of an issue, as multicore boxes are now mainstream.

What relationship is there between parallel make and multicore? Parallel make has been in use long before most people had access to multiple CPUs. Even with a single CPU, processes block waiting for I/O.

I definitely agree that all build paths need to be supported with a make rule. Produced objects which are a side-effect of other rules cause problems for parallel builds. Unfortunately, make itself is not very helpful here since it evaluates just one target at a time. Multiple products from a single input file can be a real problem, particularly if they are produced all at once (as is commonly done for IDL files).

Bob
Bob Friesenhahn