Re: Automake (alpha) release request

From: Harlan Stenn
Subject: Re: Automake (alpha) release request
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2007 09:18:54 +0000

Bernd wrote:
> On Dec 18, 2007 7:41 AM, Ralf Wildenhues <address@hidden> wrote:
> > At the FSF lawyers, trying to rewrite the license exceptions that are
> > present in autotools, so that the rewording is suitable for GPLv3+.
>
> If there are projects out there that urgently need a new automake,
> where the latest released version is not good enough, and if there is
> an expectation that the FSF lawyers might take a while still, then
> would it be feasible simply to release automake under the GPLv3
> *without* those troublesome exceptions?  Doing so would not burden
> other free software projects which are already GPLv3 themselves.

Except there will be a version of automake out there that has
significantly different licensing requirements from other versions of
automake.

> Just which projects are clamouring for a new automake release - and
> under what licence do they wish to distribute their makefiles +
> aclocal.m4?

I'm not clamoring for a new automake release.  I also generally release
code under a BSD license that has (so far) been usable by folks who
themselves prefer GPL.  And having a version of automake out there that
does not have the license exceptions will give me a major chill.

So far this project has done a real good job of being both useful and
usable, and generally staying out of the licensing wars.

I most strenuously hope we continue to stay out of the licensing wars,
as the alternative is, at least for me, most unpleasant, and will create
significant hardships for *many* people.