Automake is still recursive

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Automake is still recursive
Date: Sat, 2 Feb 2008 11:37:14 -0600 (CST)

My non-recursive project is using Automake 1.10.1, Autoconf 2.61, CVS HEAD libtool, and GNU make 3.81. I am annoyed to see that it is still recursive, and even more recursive if maintainer mode is enabled:

Without maintainer mode:

% make
make  all-am
%

With maintainer mode:

% gmake
gmake  all-am
gmake[1]: Entering directory `/scratch/bfriesen/build/GraphicsMagick-16-static'
gmake[1]: Leaving directory `/scratch/bfriesen/build/GraphicsMagick-16-static'
%

With a non-recursive build I would expect that make would simply report that there is nothing to do when there is nothing to do, or simply return. I thought that it used to do that. This is really embarrasing for my project. I am at wits end. I am about to cry. Is there a way to avoid this dire situation?

Thanks,

Bob
Bob Friesenhahn