Re: Automake is still recursive

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: Automake is still recursive
Date: Sat, 2 Feb 2008 19:09:44 +0100

Hello Bob,

* Bob Friesenhahn wrote on Sat, Feb 02, 2008 at 06:37:14PM CET:
> My non-recursive project is using Automake 1.10.1, Autoconf 2.61, CVS
> HEAD libtool, and GNU make 3.81.  I am annoyed to see that it is still
> recursive, and even more recursive if maintainer mode is enabled:
[...]
> With a non-recursive build I would expect that make would simply
> report that there is nothing to do when there is nothing to do, or
> simply return.  I thought that it used to do that.

Not that I can remember.

> This is really embarrasing for my project.

No, it isn't.

> I am at wits end.  I am about to cry.

Can I get you a cookie to stop you from being about to cry?

> Is there a way to avoid this dire situation?

You can probably hack automake/lib/am/subdirs.am to emit a different
$(RECURSIVE_TARGETS) rule; be sure to check that all instances matching
  grep recursive automake/automake.in automake/lib/am/*.am

still work as expected.