Re: make help?

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: make help?
Date: Sun, 3 Feb 2008 17:26:22 +0100

* NightStrike wrote on Sun, Feb 03, 2008 at 03:53:36PM CET:
> Is there any possibility of an automake generated "help" target that
> would list the possible targets (or a subset of them) for make?  This
> could potentially be propagated upstream to the standard gnu targets,
> too.

Like this?

.PHONY: help
help:
        @echo "Please see here for a list of standard targets and their"
        @echo "semantics (unless the package author has overridden them):"
        @echo
"<http://www.gnu.org/software/automake/manual/html_node/Standard-Targets.html>"
        @echo
"<http://www.gnu.org/prep/standards/html_node/Standard-Targets.html>"

I don't see how to cope nicely with overridden targets.  Note BTW that
the user is not supposed to override them, but it happens nonetheless.

FWIW, I'm not yet convinced this to be all that useful (but I don't have
a strong opinion either way).