Re: Modifying CFLAGS for 'make distcheck'

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: Modifying CFLAGS for 'make distcheck'
Date: Sat, 9 Feb 2008 17:34:06 +0100

Hi Bob,

* Bob Friesenhahn wrote on Sat, Feb 09, 2008 at 05:11:29PM CET:
> On Sat, 9 Feb 2008, Erik de Castro Lopo wrote:
>>
>> So now I had this great idea. Wouldn't it be great if I could tell
>> 'make distcheck' use './configure --enable-gcc-werror'!
>>
>> Anyone have a clue on how to do this?
>
> While this can certainly be done (as explained in subsequent email), you
> might want to think twice about it.

But using it, and hard-coding it in Makefile.am are two different
things.  Even then, you, the user of Erik's package, can
  make distcheck DISTCHECK_CONFIGURE_FLAGS=

OTOH, Erik could also put this in his Makefile.am:

  my-distcheck:
        $(MAKE) $(AM_MAKEFLAGS) DISTCHECK_CONFIGURE_FLAGS=--enable-gcc-werror

> I think that "make distcheck" should be for testing the distribution
> integrity.  Packages which use free licenses like GPL should be lenient
> about minor things in order to avoid arbitrarily limiting the free
> exercise of the license.

Which is one reason I'm hesitating to enable the option dist-lzma for
the Automake package itself.