Re: Modifying CFLAGS for 'make distcheck'

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: Modifying CFLAGS for 'make distcheck'
Date: Sat, 9 Feb 2008 18:02:34 +0100

* Bob Friesenhahn wrote on Sat, Feb 09, 2008 at 05:58:01PM CET:
> On Sat, 9 Feb 2008, Ralf Wildenhues wrote:
>
>> Which is one reason I'm hesitating to enable the option dist-lzma for
>> the Automake package itself.
>
> I assumed that if dist-lzma was requested that if the lzma tools were
> not available that the request would simply be ignored.   Is that not
> the case?

No.  Without the Automake option `dist-lzma' enabled, a rule named
`dist-lzma' exists, but there is nothing depending on it, and lzma is
not used in the `dist' rule.

If the Automake option `dist-lzma' is enabled, the `dist' rule (and thus
also the `distcheck' rule) will require successful lzma tarball
creation.  The rationale here is of course: if the package maintainer is
actually doing the distribution, then heck, it should fail if the needed
files aren't built.

This is perfectly symmetric with dist-bzip2 and all the other dist-foo
options Automake has.