Re: How to build source code while treating all warnings as errors with

From: Erik de Castro Lopo
Subject: Re: How to build source code while treating all warnings as errors with automake...
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2008 09:53:04 +1100

NotFound wrote:

> By the way, including -Werror in CFLAGS at configure time breaks
> several automake and autoconf tests. This is a shame, but I suppose it
> will be almost impossible to make all tests warning-free.

Like some of the other respondants have said, you need to be careful
that you don't break compiles on platforms you haven't tested.

However, I'm a contributor to a project called liboggz which can be
pulled from SVN here:

    http://svn.annodex.net/liboggz/trunk

A lot of what you want in its configure.ac and Makefile.am files
for that project. For instance:

  - Configure.ac detects the compiler and if it is GCC, enables
    a whole bunch of -W flags.

  - Configure.ac has a --enable-gcc-werror configure flag so that
    if the compiler is gcc, it also adds -Werror.

  - The top level Makefile.am sets DISTCHECK_CONFIGURE_FLAGS to
    --enable-gcc-werror so that the make distcheck will run with
    -Werrror turned on if the compiler is GCC.

Have a look at liboggz and feel free to grab some of these
techniques from configure.ac and Makefile.am.

Cheers,
Erik
Erik de Castro Lopo
"[Perl] combines all the worst aspects of C and Lisp: a billion different
sublanguages in one monolithic executable.  It combines the power of C with
the readability of PostScript." -- Jamie Zawinski