Implementing notrans_man_MANS (Was: Automake bug #516 -- and more)

From: Peter Breitenlohner
Subject: Implementing notrans_man_MANS (Was: Automake bug #516 -- and more)
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2008 10:25:34 +0100 (CET)

On Wed, 30 Jan 2008, Ralf Wildenhues wrote:

Hello Ralf,

* Peter Breitenlohner wrote on Wed, Jan 23, 2008 at 10:28:28AM CET:
[...]
(1) In some cases it is completely inadequate to apply the program name
transform to manpage names.
[...]
Maybe that could be taken care of by something like notransform_MAN_MANS
(needs a better name).

notrans_man_MANS sounds good to me.

I now have a working version of notrans_man1_MANS & Co, but I noticed an
additional problem: The target 'install-man1' tries to install, e.g.,
'$(dist_man1_MANS)' but doesn't depend on it. I want to fix that as well, at
the same time omitting unused variables.

Still missing are: (1) documentation in autoconf.texi, (2) a test case, and
(3) a ChangeLog entry.

How should I proceed, once all that is finished? Email to you and/or
automake bugzilla?

Are unified diffs against the autoamke-1.10.1 tarball OK?

What about re-indenting existing code?

(2) There are packages with translated manpages -- good. But automake
provides no way to supress their installation or to install them for a
subset of the available languages -- not good.

I'll come back to this at some later time.

Regards         Peter