Re: Problems with headers and subdirectories

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: Problems with headers and subdirectories
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2008 19:43:11 +0100

Hello Stefan,

* Stefan Bienert wrote on Wed, Feb 27, 2008 at 03:59:13PM CET:

> I have a simple task:

Which unfortunately hasn't been completely specified yet.
How does the source tree look like?
How would you like the installed tree to look like?
Which files do you want to appear in the distribution?

> Srcdirectory with several subdirectories. Some of the subdirs are
> including headers from directories one level up. Therefore I just wrote
> several Makefile.am's, one for each directory. How do I treat the
> headers which in the higher directory levels?

For now, I can only give general advice.  If you have one Makefile.am
per directory, then I suggest you put *_HEADERS in the directory which
contains the respective header files.  You can also list files from
subdirectories (and in some cases even use ".."), but upon installation,
the relative dirnames will be flattened unless you use the nobase_
prefix.  See
<http://www.gnu.org/software/automake/manual/html_node/Alternative.html>.

> I tried something like
[...]
> but on each make distcheck, the header is not copied

distcheck does a lot.  It creates a couple of distribution tarballs
(like 'make dist'), it builds, installs, uninstalls stuff.  The
statement "is not copied" is ambiguous.  Posting distcheck output would
help here, too.

> nor is an  appropriate -I path set.

Typically, only -I. -I$(srcdir) are set by default, you have to add
other paths manually.