Re: Bison C++ parsers and ylwrap

From: David Fang
Subject: Re: Bison C++ parsers and ylwrap
Date: Sun, 2 Mar 2008 17:37:01 -0500 (EST)

It probably is a bug.  I for one use bison/yacc very sparingly only and
lack the experience how to deal with it portably.  Which is why it would
be better if someone else worked on fixing it.

For whatever it's worth, I have always found bison's C++ support to be
sub-par.  It's always been easier to create C source from bison, put
some 'extern "C"' decls in the %{ %} header of the .y file, and output
to a .cc file.

So while I have no resolution for the bug, I would encourage you to just
use bison conventionally as a workaround.

Another data point, I use the normal C-skeleton style parsers from bison/yacc but compile them in C++ (myparser.yy -> myparser.cc), and have no problems with using C++ in the semantic actions. (I also don't need any extern "C" declarations/references as long as everything is compiled consistently as C++. I've been doing this since yacc (skeleton 1.14?) and bison 1.35.

Fang

David Fang
Computer Systems Laboratory
Electrical & Computer Engineering
Cornell University
http://www.csl.cornell.edu/~fang/
        -- (2400 baud? Netscape 3.0?? lynx??? No problem!)