Re: pattern rules

From: John Calcote
Subject: Re: pattern rules
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2008 09:42:01 -0600

Ralf Hemmecke wrote:
http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/books/autotools_a_guide_to_autoconf_automake_libtool

Thank you, but I had already a first glance on it after you first mentioned this link.

My impression currently is that automake is very very very C-focused.
The bad think is that I start learning autotools without having a C project.

Ralf

Today's Autotools have built-in support for C, C++, and Fortran77. The automake documentation suggests that other languages (Java, Objective-C, LISP) may also be used--automake actually has minor support for these. The reason for this bias is of course is that the Autotools were written specifically for the GNU project, which contains *mostly* C code (Fortran support was added because the GNU compiler set provides a Fortran compiler, I think), for reasons outlined in the GNU coding standards document. Support for the other languages has mostly been added by community contributors.

I've used the Java support myself, and it works pretty well, but could stand some improvement to take it to the same level as ant or maven.

What languages are you interested in?

John