Problem mixing .cpp and .cxx in _SOURCES.

From: Jeroen N. Witmond [Bahco]
Subject: Problem mixing .cpp and .cxx in _SOURCES.
Date: Mon, 7 Apr 2008 21:19:26 +0200 (CEST)

Greetings!

I've stumbled across a minor problem in automake, demonstated by the
Makefile.am below.

# Makefile.am

bin_PROGRAMS = problem

# There seems to be a problem with mixing .cpp and .cxx as extensions
# for C++ source file names.

problem_SOURCES = main.cpp problem.cxx

# When a file problem.cpp is present, this file is compiled. File
# problem.cxx in problem_SOURCES is ignored.

EXTRA_DIST = problem.cpp autogen.sh my-configure

# To demonstrate the problem, run
# $ cd automakecppcxx-1.0
# $ ./autogen.sh
# $ ./my-configure
# $ make

The tarball containing all files needed can be found here:
http://www.xs4all.nl/~jnw/gnu/automakecppcxx-1.0.tar.gz

Note that the EXTRA_DIST was added only to make the tar.gz file. The
EXTRA_DIST has no impact on the problem.

My guess is that this is a problem I will have to live with, but I would
like to be proven wrong. :)

Regards,

Jeroen.