Re: Report to stdout like Linux kernel compilation does

From: Robert J. Hansen
Subject: Re: Report to stdout like Linux kernel compilation does
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2008 11:36:56 -0500

Bob Proulx wrote:
To give you a different perspective, I *hate* that format because it
hides problems and *makes debugging harder*.  I want to see exactly
the command that was executed.  I want to see the entire command.  I
don't want to see an abbreviation of the command.

Fortunately, no one is advocating the current formatting be removed or even altered, only that a less spammy alternative exist.

Always build with full warnings enabled.  Always clean up warnings as
they are introduced.  Always keep a warning free build.

Given the wide leeway the C and C++ standards give implementors in respect to what is warning-worthy, I think this is crazy. There are far more compilers in the world than just GCC, and trying to make a warning-free build on /every/ platform is just far too much torment-of-the-damned for far too little benefit.