Re: extending automake

From: Brian Dessent
Subject: Re: extending automake
Date: Sat, 19 Apr 2008 05:42:57 -0700

Ralf Wildenhues wrote:

> Well, this scheme can easily be generalized to one stamp file per set of
> output files, no?  And then it parallelizes well, too.

Yes, I suppose if you named the stamp with a filename derivable from
that of the .xml filename you could generalize this without having to
write 'n' copies of the rule.  That would be a better way.

That brings up the next logical point, can anyone comment on the
feasibility of some kind of generalized "tool X reads A and outputs Y
and Z" construct to help solve the "tools generating multiple outputs"
case without having to emit big ugly stamp rules in Makefile.am or
resorting the GNUmake-isms?

Brian