Re: flag question

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: flag question
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2008 16:32:34 -0500 (CDT)

On Fri, 25 Apr 2008, NightStrike wrote:

On 4/25/08, Peter O'Gorman <address@hidden> wrote:
NightStrike wrote:
-Wall and -pedantic... AM_CFLAGS or AM_CPPFLAGS?

Neither. Neither are portable, so the do not belong in the Makefile.am,
check for gcc in configure and append them to CFLAGS if they work.

I didn't know they weren't portable.  Our project requires gcc as a
precondition, but I see your point.  Is there a configure test to see
if -Wall works?

These options only work with GCC. If the compiler is GCC you can use them, otherwise skip them.

As long as you arrange to generate the argument to AM_CFLAGS using a configure substitution, you can put arguments there, but if you do it way, there is no assurance that they will work unless they were used as part of the configure script testing.

Bob
Bob Friesenhahn