MKDIR_P vs. mkdir_p and automake versions

From: David Bruce
Subject: MKDIR_P vs. mkdir_p and automake versions
Date: Mon, 12 May 2008 11:22:32 -0400

Hello,

If I understand correctly, "MKDIR_P" is recommended but requires automake-1.10
or higher.  Is this right?  I recently had a new developer on our free
project tell me he needed to replace "MKDIR_P" with "mkdir_p" in the
autotools-generated makefiles to get the project to build, and I'm wondering
if the problem was that he didn't have the current automake.

Also, if he can't/won't upgrade to 1.10, is there an acceptable workaround?

Thanks,

--
David Bruce