Re: directory names with blanks break automake builds

From: Peter Simons
Subject: Re: directory names with blanks break automake builds
Date: Mon, 19 May 2008 19:41:37 +0200

Ralf Wildenhues writes:

 >> The problem I'm hitting is that ${srcdir} contains a blank, so the
 >> path to 'install-sh' contains a blank too:
 >
 > I think that's one of the remaining unfixed problems, unfortunately.

I see, thank you for the clarification. As far as I'm concerned, this
problem is really low-priority. The target audience of the package I'm
distributing are experienced C++ developers. Those people will have
built an Automake package before, so chances of any of them trying that
in a directory that contains whitespace characters are really low, for
obvious reasons. :-)

However, eventually I'd like my package to work on Windows too, and
unfortunately the Windows crowd appears to consider blanks in directory
names a natural thing to use. It is unlikely that anyone is going to
stumble across this problem, but still it would be nice if that kind of
build would work, eventually.

If I can help with testing or anything else, please let me know.

Peter