Re: extending automake

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: extending automake
Date: Tue, 3 Jun 2008 20:12:08 +0200

Hello Bob,

* Bob Rossi wrote on Tue, Jun 03, 2008 at 05:58:59PM CEST:
> Another example I just ran across on the mingw.org site,
>    windres -o resfile.o resfile.rc
>    gcc -o hello hello.o resfile.o -mwindows
> Often people want to put resources into there program. They would
> greatly benefit from this feature, considering they could teach automake
> how to run these commands.

Wait, the above example is about extending automake, but not about rules
which produce multiple output files, right?

For the above, I'd just use (assuming SUFFIXES has already been set)

SUFFIXES += .rc
WINDRES = windres
.rc.$(OBJEXT):
        $(WINDRES) $(WINDRESFLAGS) -o $@ $<

bin_PROGRAMS = hello
hello_SOURCES = hello.c
# probably the following needs to go in a conditional
hello_LDADD = resfile.$(OBJEXT)

Hope that helps.