Re: Question about testing a library.

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: Question about testing a library.
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2008 22:25:28 +0200

* Schrader, Glenn wrote on Wed, Jun 18, 2008 at 10:01:00PM CEST:

> This is exactly what doesn't work. All programs other than the check_
> programs are unconditionally built by the default 'all' target. There
> doesn't seem to be a clean way to defer building my tests until the
> user explicitly does a 'make installcheck'.

Hmm.  Re-reading the whole thread, I finally understand what you aim
for.  Letting installcheck link programs against the just-installed
libraries, in order to test that they work properly; and you were hoping
that automake could provide the (link) rules for generating those
programs for you.

Nice idea, thanks!  Even with libtool's philosophy of making things
testable before installation.

Not sure how to provide this, yet.  For now I guess you could write
  $(LIBTOOL) --mode=link ...

rules yourself, and hook them into installcheck-local (or otherwise make
them prerequisites of your installcheck tests).

One more TODO item.  Ideas and patches welcome.