Re: question using VPATH'S ...

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: question using VPATH'S ...
Date: Sun, 22 Jun 2008 18:43:49 +0200

* Roberto Alejandro Espí Muñoz wrote on Sun, Jun 22, 2008 at 06:33:07PM CEST:
> Hi , I read about the possibility of creating VPATHs so that my project
> can produce multiple configured outputs in different locations ( build
> tree != source tree ).  I'm trying to accommodate that philosophy to
> what I want to do.  When I construct all my targets I want them to end
> up in specific directories.  For example I would want my binaries to end
> up in something like bin/, or my shared objects in lib/.
>
> Is there any way  I can do this?? Is VPATH the way??

Yes.  Most likely you won't have to do anything, you esp. don't have to
set VPATH yourself.  But you should read up on the three different
trees: the source tree, the build tree, and the install tree.

This chapter of the Automake manual walks you through several autotools
features, including those you're looking for:
<http://www.gnu.org/software/automake/manual/html_node/Autotools-Introduction.html>

Hope that helps.