AC_SEARCH_LIB - search path (?)

From: steve_k
Subject: AC_SEARCH_LIB - search path (?)
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2008 07:11:59 -0700 (PDT)

Hi everybody,

my current task is to get some testcases for a library compiling - the
directory structure is that the testcases should exist completely
independently from the source directory of the library. Each testcase has
its own subdirectory seen from the root directory.  The binary(ies) of the
shared library are placed in /usr/local/lib includes reside in
/usr/local/include.

My problem is that the library is never found - by autoreconf - ./configure

I tried to detect the library in configure.ac via the line:

AC_SEARCH_LIBS(GDouble,geneva,,[AC_MSG_ERROR([GenEvA library not found])])
where GDouble is the constructor of a class belonging to the library which
itself is called "(lib)geneva"

but whereever i put the lib - it is never found :-((

Could somebody please give me a hint what i could do to make
autoconf/configure find the library
, or provide a better codeline for detection .

Thank you very much in advance
Stefan