Re: pre and post install targets

From: Bernd Jendrissek
Subject: Re: pre and post install targets
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2008 13:32:34 +0200

On Thu, Jul 17, 2008 at 10:20 AM, Jose-Marcio <address@hidden> wrote:
> Currently, I've defined a new target (upgrade) which depends
> on :
>
> upgrade : preinstall install postinstall

Note that that breaks under make -j upgrade.

> Is there a more elegant way to do this ?

I think it's about as good as it gets.  I really hate packages that
try to futz around with my system in their 'install' target.
Sometimes it's as simple as chmod u+s, other times they want to start
and stop daemons.  Rather keep it explicit.

Think about exposing your "preinstall" and "postinstall" targets as
ones that can be individually run, even as 'make -n postinstall
>/tmp/package/scripts/postinstall' - in fact I wish all packages that
needed pre/post install actions would do this, so one wouldn't have to
read the README (!) if all you want to do is install a tower of
dependencies.