best practice for injecting include dir across a project

From: Monty Taylor
Subject: best practice for injecting include dir across a project
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2008 15:43:39 -0300

Hey all,

I've got a project that has 24 Makefile.am files. At the top of all of
them at the moment, I've got:

AM_CPPFLAGS = -I$(top_builddir)/include -I$(top_srcdir)/include

Which seems a bit ridiculous. I would love to inject those two into
DEFAULT_INCLUDES, but I can't find any handles to do that... and I'd
rather not shove them into CFLAGS in configure.ac, just because that
also seems like the "wrong" way to do it.

Am I missing something obvious?

Monty

PS. Yes...I know the -I$(top_builddir)/include is ridiculous... I
inherited that and just haven't gotten rid of it yet... but the
fundamental question of "how do I add one or more include paths globally
from a top level in a sane manner still holds...