Re: How to pinpoint aclocal failure

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: How to pinpoint aclocal failure
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2008 21:11:56 +0200

Hello,

* Yang Tse wrote on Wed, Jul 30, 2008 at 08:17:54PM CEST:

> Since I'm not sure if this is actually an automake or autoconf issue,

It's not clear from the bug report.

aclocal endless loops are a pain to debug.  If you can go back to a
known-good version (of configure.ac and *.m4 files), you may be able to
bisect.  Otherwise I remember that there have been some issues in the
interaction of Libtool or Autoconf macros.  You may be able to find
clues when searching the mailing list archives for it.

Otherwise, can you make a tarball or VCS-repository available with which
the issue may be reproduced?

> Could some additional tracing be enabled even if we need to edit whatever ?

Yes, sometimes putting m4_traceon() or traceon() in strategic places can
help (but don't complain about the sheer volume of output; there is
traceoff as well).

Hope that helps.