Re: libtool (1.5.26) with mingw/msys and eclipse problem

From: Joost Kraaijeveld
Subject: Re: libtool (1.5.26) with mingw/msys and eclipse problem
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2008 23:13:01 +0200

On Thu, 2008-08-28 at 20:33 +0200, Ralf Wildenhues wrote:
> Hello Joost,
>
> * Joost Kraaijeveld wrote on Thu, Aug 28, 2008 at 04:02:58PM CEST:
> >
> > I have a large Makefile project that uses autotools for configuration.
> > If I run "../configure" and "make" from the MSYS command prompt (rxvt)
> > everything configures an compiles OK.
> >
> > However, if I use Eclipse to compile using exactly the same Makefiles, I
> > get an error at link-time: for some reason libtool (1.5.26) decides to
> > rewrite it's files (the asci stub files that point to the actual
> > library) and forgets that paths in Windows and MSYS work differently in
> > the process.
> >
> > Is it possible to make libtool use the correct paths?
>
> What is it that Eclipse does differently from ../configure && make?
As far as I can determine: nothing. The only thing I can come up with is
that Eclipse calls "make" using *cmd.exe* instead of sh.exe (the latter
being used in MSYS), which of course returns Windows paths and not
MSYS/unixlike paths.. But that does not explain the rewriting: the
Makefile is not changed, so why would libtool rewrite it's files?

But the actual error is caused by the following path changes :

The working MSYS file:

dependency_libs=' /d/workspace/Danu/mingw/library/DanuBase/libdanubase.la
-lpthread'
[snip]
relink_command="(cd /d/workspace/Danu/mingw/library/DanuStream; /bin/sh
../libtool  --tag=CXX --mode=relink g++ -I/d/boost/include -g -Wall -Wextra
-Wundef -Wshadow -Wconversion -Wmissing-declarations -no-undefined -o
libdanustream.la -rpath /usr/local/lib libdanustream_la-BaseStream.lo
libdanustream_la-ByteStream.lo libdanustream_la-DllMain.lo
libdanustream_la-FileStream.lo libdanustream_la-StreamableObject.lo
libdanustream_la-StreamableObjectCreator.lo
libdanustream_la-StreamableObjectFactory.lo
../../library/DanuBase/libdanubase.la @inst_prefix_dir@) "

The non-working Eclipse file:

dependency_libs=' D:\workspace/Danu/mingw/library/DanuBase/libdanubase.la
-lpthread'
[snip]
relink_command="(cd D:\\workspace/Danu/mingw/library/DanuStream; /bin/sh
../libtool  --tag=CXX --mode=relink g++ -I/d/boost/include -g -Wall -Wextra
-Wundef -Wshadow -Wconversion -Wmissing-declarations -no-undefined -o
libdanustream.la -rpath /usr/local/lib libdanustream_la-BaseStream.lo
libdanustream_la-ByteStream.lo libdanustream_la-DllMain.lo
libdanustream_la-FileStream.lo libdanustream_la-StreamableObject.lo
libdanustream_la-StreamableObjectCreator.lo
libdanustream_la-StreamableObjectFactory.lo
../../library/DanuBase/libdanubase.la @inst_prefix_dir@) "

Notice the change from /d/ to d:\  in the first and /d/ to d:\\ in the
second quoted line.

The error I get is saying something about D:workspace, so I assume that
it is about the first line without the escaped \ in d:\workspace.

> How about fixing that?
That is the other line I am investigating. But for now I am satisfied
with (and desperate for) every working solution ;-)

> As far as I understand, this is not a problem of autotools/libtool,
> but one of the program using them.  If you think otherwise, then I
> would like to see more details.
I am afraid I did not convince you, but there are more details ;-)

--
Groeten,

Joost Kraaijeveld
Askesis B.V.