Re: how to install data directories

From: Matej Tyc
Subject: Re: how to install data directories
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2008 15:21:25 +0200

Thank you,
I see that I can clarify the issue a little bit more:
I now really think that this is more automake than autoconf related.
There are two challenges connected with that:
1. I have to tell the code what is the correct path to those datafiles,
which I had correctly accomplished by including
AM_CPPFLAGS = -D'<some cool macro>'
in Makefile.am
2. Installing some files in that directory. I have learned to use
dist_data_DATA = <file list>, but I would like to write
dist_data_DATA = <data_directory>. If I do that, I get this error:
test -z "/usr/share" || /bin/mkdir -p "/usr/share"
 /bin/install -c -m 644 './garden' '/usr/share/garden'
/bin/install: omitting directory `./garden'
(garden is the name of the directory containing datafiles and other
directories). I don't like the idea of long Makefile.am containing lists
of all files and directories that have to be installed...
3. Distributing the datafiles - I have figured it out, it is OK.
Do you have an idea how to deal with the second problem?
Matej