Re: how to install data directories

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: how to install data directories
Date: Sun, 31 Aug 2008 18:11:06 +0200

* Matej Tyc wrote on Sun, Aug 31, 2008 at 05:57:13PM CEST:

> Actually I have noticed that
> nobase_dist_foo_DATA = <files> takes care about subdirectories
> creation, which is really, really good.  I suggest adding a reminder
> of this to the datafiles section in the automake manual since the
> nobase prefix is very useful for datafiles management...

Care to write a patch?

> However, either approach leaves empty directories after make
> uninstall, how come?

Two reasons: first, one cannot know whether other packages share the
directory.  That could be worked around by using 'rmdir' instead of
'rm -rf', though.  But secondly, the sysadmin may have pre-created
the directories using specific permissions (and owner).  This
information is lost if we remove them.

This behavior is mandated by the GNU Coding Standards.