Re: best way to structure project with an "empty" dir

From: John Richetta
Subject: Re: best way to structure project with an "empty" dir
Date: Tue, 9 Sep 2008 16:48:45 -0700

Hi Ralf,

Thanks for your help.

Unfortunately, due to a last-minute edit in my original message that I failed to review, I misstated something: the (single) built application executable should reside in AppDir, *not* in any of the subdirectories (as my original mail incorrectly stated). Sorry for the mistake.

Anyway, your solution of simply listing subdirectories in SUBDIRS, without any targets, in the TopDir Makefile did indeed solve my problem. I was already listing them, but assumed I needed to have some form of binary target listed in my Makefile.am. I'm not sure if this particular point (that a valid Makefile.am need not explicitly list any targets) is as obvious as it might be in the automake documentation.

Thanks again, -jar