Feature request

From: Akim Demaille
Subject: Feature request
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2008 16:35:50 +0200

Hi friends!

I have a suggestion.

I'm slowly getting rid of my recursive Makefiles. Instead I have one local.mk per directory, and a few Makefile.ams that include them. Of course I have to prefix all my file names with the name of the directory, and I find that this explicit name is actually clutter. I don't think automake can be educated to guess by itself where to prepend the directory name, yet it would be quite easier to have some variable that would expand to the prefix of the included file.

For instance with

        include foo/bar/local.mk

I'd like to have something like $(cwd) [1] replaced by foo/bar inside local.mk. Or something like that. It should be recursive: if foo/bar/ local.mk itself includes something else, paths should be appended.

Thanks for the good work!

[1] whatever the name, but not too long. Maybe a symbol, $/ for instance.