Chosing between system and builtin library

From: Sylvain Beucler
Subject: Chosing between system and builtin library
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2008 20:55:56 +0200

Hi,

(I'm not 100% sure this is the right list, please let me know if this
is the case :))

I'd like to implement something like gettext's inclusion of 'libintl',
which can be either included in the source tarball (for users), or
reused from a system library (for distros).

gettext's implementation looks complicated. Is there an easier way to
do the job? I'm pretty sure there are some caveats to be aware of when
specifying the library.

In my case I'd like to repackage "ballz"
(http://code.google.com/p/db-tins07/) which bundles 2 libraries
('guichan' and 'dumb'), and offer the user to either use the included
versions, or the already installed versions (if any).

Thanks,

--
Sylvain