Re: libtool link error

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: libtool link error
Date: Sun, 19 Oct 2008 09:34:39 +0200

Hello,

please don't top-post, thank you.

* rrlangly wrote on Sat, Oct 18, 2008 at 11:31:37PM CEST:

> Apologies if I'm missing something, but I'm just not understanding why
> libtool is looking for an *.la and I want it to -lopenal with a *.so.

Because some other *.la file referenced it.  That in turn is likely so
because at the time, that other *.la file was created the missing file
was present on the system building the package.  libtool assumes that
such refereced files are needed, and subsequently requires their
presence even for libraries only indirectly linking to them.

Hope that helps.