Re: Handling of Makefile variables

From: LCID Fire
Subject: Re: Handling of Makefile variables
Date: Tue, 04 Nov 2008 23:56:25 +0100

Ralf Wildenhues wrote:
> * LCID Fire wrote on Tue, Nov 04, 2008 at 08:41:01PM CET:
>> On my app I'm currently trying to switch from one big Makefile to
>> multiple ones.
>
> Why?
>
> Besides having multiple Makefile.am files that each turn to fully
> fledged Makefile files, you could also have Makefile.am fragments
> and include them from the master one (in which case you unfortunately
> have to carry along all the relative paths).  But it usually builds
> faster and parallelizes better.
I try to refactor the sourcecode into a directory structure because the
root directory gets a little bit packed.

>> So I have in the root directory a Makefile.am and some in
>> directories underneath. The thing I noticed is: Even though I set
>> AM_CFLAGS in the root Makefile.am these options are not used in the ones
>> underneath.
> Correct.  To set variables globally, AC_SUBST them from configure.ac.
The thing I tried to achieve is to collect all the sourcefiles through
the SUBDIRS structure downwards and then in some subdirectory build the
SOURCES variable - and using AC_SUBST it complains that subst is not
allowed to be used in SOURCES. What's the "correct" way to do this?