Re: Multilib sources and variables

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: Multilib sources and variables
Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2008 19:37:04 +0100

* NightStrike wrote on Sun, Nov 30, 2008 at 06:08:39PM CET:
> On Sun, Nov 30, 2008 at 2:32 AM, Ralf Wildenhues wrote:
> >
> > Typically, -m32 either goes right on to the compiler, or it goes in both
> > CPPFLAGS and LDFLAGS.  Since you don't link here, that looks ok.
>
> So if I put something in CPPFLAGS, gcc won't pass that on to the
> linker for LDFLAGS?

CPPFLAGS are for the preprocessing phase, {C,CXX,F,FC}FLAGS for the
respective compiler, LDFLAGS for the linking phase.  Most languages
do both preprocessing and compilation in one step, so they get both
the CPPFLAGS and the respective compile flags (non-preprocessed
Fortran languages are an exception).  The linking phase typically
gets both the compiler flags and LDFLAGS.  Which compiler is chosen
for linking is documented in the manual (if more than one source
language is involved).