Re: GNU Make Extensions

From: NightStrike
Subject: Re: GNU Make Extensions
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2008 10:25:58 -0500

On Wed, Dec 10, 2008 at 1:39 AM, Ralf Wildenhues <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hello Tom,
>
> * Tom Browder wrote on Wed, Dec 10, 2008 at 01:38:53AM CET:
> > Is it "legal" to use the "+=" operator in lieu of "\" when listing
> > members of a variable in Makefile.am's?
>
> Yes.  In this case, an Automake extension over portable make syntax,
> i.e., automake will flatten the += and 'make' won't ever see it.
>
> Cheers,
> Ralf

If automake has the ability to flatten the += syntax so that
non-portable make advances can be used, why can't the same logic apply
to wildcard usage?  The biggest argument against it that I've heard is
that it is a GNU-only option.  However, I've suggested in the past
that it'd be great if Automake can just process the wildcard and
output the Makefile.in accordingly.  It sounds like my suggestion
wasn't that wild afterall if Automake can do this currently for things
like +=.

When you have a library with 357 source files, the list in Makefile.am
becomes unwieldy.