Re: GNU Make Extensions

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: GNU Make Extensions
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2008 09:35:44 -0600 (CST)

On Wed, 10 Dec 2008, NightStrike wrote:

If automake has the ability to flatten the += syntax so that
non-portable make advances can be used, why can't the same logic apply
to wildcard usage?  The biggest argument against it that I've heard is
that it is a GNU-only option.  However, I've suggested in the past
that it'd be great if Automake can just process the wildcard and
output the Makefile.in accordingly.  It sounds like my suggestion
wasn't that wild afterall if Automake can do this currently for things
like +=.

Automake is written in Perl, which is a very powerful scripting language. Of course it could easily be extended to do such a thing.

When you have a library with 357 source files, the list in Makefile.am
becomes unwieldy.

I think that the fear is that the package will accidentally end up with 356 or 358 source files but that exactly 357 are required. There is the idea that software should be constructed by design rather than by accident.

Bob
Bob Friesenhahn