Bigger picture of automake variables

From: LCID Fire
Subject: Bigger picture of automake variables
Date: Sun, 14 Dec 2008 01:58:48 +0100

I'm still pretty confused how the automake variables work. Perhaps
someone could answer my questions.
1. I get it that they are just existing per Makfile in one directory.
But what is then meant when the documentation talks about global
variables? Does global mean they are predefined?

2. When I actually add e.g. AC_SUBST([SOMETHING]) into a configure.in -
what is the AC_SUBST doing?

3. Does the order of assigning variables make any difference?
AM_CFLAGS = blub
SUBDIRS = . somedir
AM_CFLAGS = whatever

Assuming that AM_CFLAGS is also accessible by the subdirectories, -
would AM_CFLAGS have the value "blub" or "whatever"?