Re: odd aclocal/automake depends issue

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: odd aclocal/automake depends issue
Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2008 07:39:20 +0100

Hello Monty,

* Monty Taylor wrote on Tue, Dec 23, 2008 at 04:48:30AM CET:
> First of all, the answer to my question is going to be "don't do that",
> but just in case it isn't...

Nope, it isn't, AFAICS.

> The problem I was recently trying to solve is this: if I change a
> plug.in file, automake doesn't trigger a re-run of aclocal, et al, Like
> I would like it to.

> Next thing was to use sinclude to include the files (we had been using
> builtin([include],$1) because of bug in aclocal 1.8. I _obviously_ don't
> care about aclocal 1.8 anymore, so I ripped that out and used sinclude.
> This now causes all the files to show up in am__aclocal_m4_deps. w00t!
>
> EXCEPT...
>
> Now, if I change and of the files, I get
> Making all in innobase
> cd ../.. && make  am--refresh
> cd . && /bin/sh /Users/mordred/src/drizzle/devel/config/missing --run
> aclocal-1.10 -I m4
> make[3]: Nothing to be done for `all'.
> Making all in myisam
> cd ../.. && make  am--refresh
> cd . && /bin/sh /Users/mordred/src/drizzle/devel/config/missing --run
> aclocal-1.10 -I m4

Where are the plug.in files included from.  Please use m4_include or
m4_sinclude rather than plain include/sinclude.  And then do the above
and show the output of
  aclocal-1.10 -I m4 --verbose

to find out better what is happening and which files aclocal is reading.
aclocal should only not update the output file if it already thinks that
it has an mtime that is greater than that of all of its input files (and
if the contents match the would-be new contents).

> Am I doing something obviously wrong here? The behavior from sinclude()
> is what I want in general, except for the extra rebuilding of aclocal
> over and over again...

As a workaround, you should be able to use --force once, but of course
that is not a fix.

Thanks for the report.