Re: blank line following trailing backslash

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: blank line following trailing backslash
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2009 20:41:19 +0100

Hello Andreas,

* Andreas wrote on Sun, Jan 25, 2009 at 06:42:52PM CET:
>     fileA.c \
>     fileB.c \
>     fileC.c
[...]
> This is not nice so I thought well let's add a backslash after the
> last file and add an empty line at the end. Then there's no need to
> modify the fileC line and everybody just adds a line to the list. This
> can be resolved. But automake doesn't like this at all. Even though it
> is clearly visible that this is not wrong it complains. It doesn't
> even warn about this it produces an error.

Jan already provided a way around this.  Here's why automake warns about
it at all: it is not portable to have a backslash followed by a blank
line, as some make implementations are rather unpredictable with it:
<http://www.gnu.org/software/autoconf/manual/html_node/Backslash_002dNewline_002dNewline.html>
<http://www.gnu.org/software/autoconf/manual/html_node/Backslash_002dNewline-Comments.html>

Hope that helps.