Re: git branch strategy after 1.11

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: git branch strategy after 1.11
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2009 23:08:23 +0100

* Jan Engelhardt wrote on Tue, Mar 24, 2009 at 11:01:02PM CET:
> On Tuesday 2009-03-24 22:48, Ralf Wildenhues wrote:
> >
> >> And: once branch-1.11 development finally ceases, it can be deleted.
> >> This works because the commits remain reachable via the release tags.
> >> If necessary, the branch pointer can simply be recreated.
> >
> >What would be the advantage of deleting a release branch?
>
> Maybe, first, to clarify, doing this deletion is only meaningful
> when the branch pointer would coincide with a tag. Otherwise you
> would lose commits if the bp deviated from what is reachable from
> the tag, of course.

The branch pointer would almost never coincide with a tag.  The first
thing I do after a release is to bump NEWS and configure.ac.  This may
be a relict from not computing the version number from 'git describe',
but I currently don't see the need to go this way.

> Hm, less refs to download for the user. Not that those 40 bytes matter ;-)
> Seriously, I really thought "whoops" when I was swamped by the lot of
> branches [...]

The number of release branches will not grow anywhere as quickly here.

Thanks,