Re: Troubles with conditional adding files to library

From: Gerald I. Evenden
Subject: Re: Troubles with conditional adding files to library
Date: Fri, 27 Mar 2009 11:18:00 -0400

On Friday 27 March 2009 10:52:33 am Russ Allbery wrote:
> "Gerald I. Evenden" <address@hidden> writes:
> > Then I ran autoconfig followed by "autoconfig -vfi" and got messages:
> > configure.ac:34: required file `src/malloc.c' not found
> > configure.ac:34: required file `src/strtod.c' not found
> > autoreconf: automake failed with exit status: 1
> >
> > I commented out AC_FUNC_MALLOC/STRTOD and then everything went to
> > completion.
> >
> > Any suggestions.
>
> AC_FUNC_MALLOC and AC_FUNC_STRTOD are indended to be used with replacement
> implementations for those functions (usually from gnulib).  If you're not
> providing replacements, they're not very useful.  I think autoscan will
> suggest using them if you ever use either of those functions, but you may
> or may not need the portability there.

I use both functions quite frequently but do nothing special about library use
or using alternate source.  I just assumed they are part of the standard
library.  I do not understand why there is anything special about these
routines and did wonder why the special attention was given them in the
configure.scan.

I will play dumb and remove them from configure.ac.

Thanks.

In the mean time I will do a little research on this subject as time allows.