Finding library procedures in /usr/local/lib/

From: Gerald I. Evenden
Subject: Finding library procedures in /usr/local/lib/
Date: Thu, 2 Apr 2009 17:45:05 -0400

After trying so many options related to libraries I am exhausted.

I have a simple program that needs to link with a shared library installed
in /usr/local/lib.

When using my own simple Makefile and simply adding "-lproject -lm" everything
works fine (libproject is the shared library).

But regardless of how many tests, etc., I do in the .ac and .am files I cannot
get the final Makefile to link with "project."

There must be a simple solution to this rediculously simple operation but the
*^%(*% manuals are forever enamored with the complex examples and give short
time to the dumb oxes as myself.

Also, whenever I put tests for the existance of the library entries in
configure.ac output of ./configure always shows that they are not detected.

Any assistance would be *greatly* appreciated, thank-you.