Re: Finding library procedures in /usr/local/lib/

From: Gerald I. Evenden
Subject: Re: Finding library procedures in /usr/local/lib/
Date: Fri, 3 Apr 2009 14:11:22 -0400

On Friday 03 April 2009 12:17:14 pm John Calcote wrote:
> On 4/3/2009 8:49 AM, Gerald I. Evenden wrote:
> > On Thursday 02 April 2009 5:56:52 pm Peter Johansson wrote:

> >> LDADD = "-lm -lproject"
> >>
> >> in your `Makefile.am' should do it.
> >>
> >> Cheers,
> >> Peter
> >
> > Of the suggestions offered, this one worked in the following literal
> > entry into src/Makefile.am:
> >
> > geodesic_LDADD = -lproject -lm
>
> No offense intended to Peter, but this solution works because it simply
> assumes the library exists on the end-user's system. On systems where it
> doesn't exist in the default library paths, the build will fail with a
> linker error. The entire purpose of Autoconf checks is to ensure that
> the environment is actually able to build the project. If this solution
> is acceptable to you, then why even bother with configure? Why not
> simply write a makefile to build your project?
>
> Regards,
> John

One added note, that bothers me a little.

If the system checks for an entry being present in a particular iibrary by
compiling/linking a test program using the function *and* linking to the
specified library,----> what if the library under test heavily references
another library such as -lm??  IF -lm is not in the test run would the test
not fail???????  Thus the entry under test fails also.

Just a thought.