Re: aclocal problems

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: aclocal problems
Date: Sat, 4 Apr 2009 01:31:36 +0200

Hi John,

* John Calcote wrote on Fri, Apr 03, 2009 at 09:33:40PM CEST:
> On page 158, paragraph 3 of the 2.63 Autoconf manual, it states:
>
> "If a macro doesn’t use AC_REQUIRE, is expected to never be the object
> of an AC_REQUIRE directive, and macros required by other macros inside
> arguments do not need to be expanded before this macro, then use
> m4_define."
>
> So the Autoconf manual is encouraging users to use m4_define, however,
> when I define a macro using m4_define in a .m4 file in the m4 directory
> of my project, aclocal ignores it by not m4_including it in the
> generated aclocal.m4 file. It appears to require the use of AC_DEFUN,
> rather than m4_define in stand-alone .m4 files.

Yep.

> Is this a bug in aclocal?

I don't think so.  Do you think the quote is an encouragement not to use
AC_REQUIRE?  For public macros, I'd even venture to say that they should
be written so they can be AC_REQUIREd (if they don't take arguments), or
at least, that other macros which are expanded inside their contents or
their arguments, may themselves AC_REQUIRE yet other macros which are
then expanded outside of all this mess.

Does the above make sense in any way?