cross compile: distinct object files, how?

From: Christian Rössel
Subject: cross compile: distinct object files, how?
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 2009 15:20:35 +0200

Hi,

I have a cross-compile situation where I want to compile sources of a
subdirectory for the host system as well as for the build system. I pass
--host, --build and CC_FOR_BUILD to configure. Then I have two
Makefile.am in distinct subdirectories, one has the statement
CC=$(CC_FOR_BUILD), the other just uses CC. The rest is identical.

These two Makefile.am reference the same target_SOURCES, but I need to
have distinct object files. In my setup the Makefile that comes first
creates the object files (in the directory of the sources) and the other
Makefile just uses them, hm, not what I intended.

How can I create distinct object files? Is there a way to specify a
"object-file-directory"? I know that if I specify (the noop)
target_CFLAGS=$(AM_CFLAGS) in one Makefile.am the object files get
prefixed. I also can symlink the sources. But is there a better
solution? Maybe by modifying OBJEXT and .SUFFIXES?

Thanks,
Christian

Forschungszentrum Jülich GmbH
52425 Jülich

Sitz der Gesellschaft: Jülich
Vorsitzende des Aufsichtsrats: MinDir'in Bärbel Brumme-Bothe
Geschäftsführung: Prof. Dr. Achim Bachem (Vorsitzender),
Dr. Ulrich Krafft (stellv. Vorsitzender), Prof. Dr. Harald Bolt,
Dr. Sebastian M. Schmidt