Re: silent build rules

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: silent build rules
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 2009 09:34:04 -0500 (CDT)

On Tue, 14 Apr 2009, Eric Blake wrote:

If so, is it worth trying to trim the AC_ARG_ENABLE output to only mention
the non-default case?  That is:

AM_SILENT_RULES        => outputs 2 lines for --{en,dis}able-silent-rules
AM_SILENT_RULES([yes]) => outputs 1 line for --disable-silent-rules
AM_SILENT_RULES([no])  => outputs 1 line for --enable-silent-rules

The default cause should always be legacy verbose.

Or, if we really don't want developers to be able to change the default to
silent build, which leads to backwards incompatible output unless the user
provides an explicit --disable-silent-rules or V=1, then we should not
accept an optional arg to AM_SILENT_RULES.

Silent-rules should be a feature which works consistently for any package which enables it. The package maintainer can decide if the feature is included, but should not be able to change the default build behavior of the package.

It is useful to support site-wide (or user-specific) modification of the default such as via config.site.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn