Setting shared lib version not functioning

From: Gerald I. Evenden
Subject: Setting shared lib version not functioning
Date: Sun, 3 May 2009 11:41:30 -0400

The following is the  beginning of my Makefile.am script:

include_HEADERS = project.h

lib_LTLIBRARIES = libproject.la

noinst_HEADERS = proj_list.h

libproject_la_LDFLAGS = -version-info 2:0:1

which worked fine when with previous loading of a library with 2:0:0
versioning code.

But now, when I go through the autoreconf, configure, compile and install I
get:

libproject.a
libproject.la
libproject.so
libproject.so.1
libproject.so.1.1.0

in /usr/local/lib and, of course, my previous application linkages will not
work.

Looking at the Makefile, all the set up looks fine with the 2:0:1 stuff
inserted.

I am at my wits end and any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.