Re: Setting shared lib version not functioning

From: Gerald I. Evenden
Subject: Re: Setting shared lib version not functioning
Date: Wed, 6 May 2009 20:58:28 -0400

As and aside on this whole mess and before I blow my brains out (just kidding,
I think) I tried starting the whole mess over and setting the version to
0:0:0 after doing a 'make maintainer-clean'.

Well, everything compiled and looked OK when installed in /usr/local/lib

libproject.a
libproject.la
libproject.so
libproject.so.0
libproject.so.0.0.0

BUT!! Now when I try to recompile any application and execute I get the happy
message:

./geodesic: error while loading shared libraries: libproject.so.0: cannot open

It did work before and /usr/local/lib is in /etc/ld.so.conf.

Oh yes, in using applications, the HAVE_MALLOC gets turned off in config.h and

#define malloc rpl_malloc

gets inserted which the linker can't find---I edited out the config.h so I
could get an executable.  ---- but that is a different problem --- I
think(?).

This whole thing is enough to drive one over the edge!!

This is enough for one day, I'm just waiting for the Daily Show to get some
sanity back.