rebuilding following a change in prefix?

From: Adam Mercer
Subject: rebuilding following a change in prefix?
Date: Thu, 7 May 2009 23:23:52 -0500

Hi

I have noticed some strange behaviour with the build system on a
project I am working on, consider the following:

$ ./configure --prefix=/path/1
$ make
$ make install
$ ./configure --prefix=/path/2
$ make
$ make install

I would expect the make after the second configure to rebuild all the
source code as the prefix has changed, well re-link the library at
least. However the make stage runs without rebuilding, or re-linking,
any code. The install phase installs to the expected path but the path
in the library is incorrect, it still points to the first library
location:

$ cd /path/2/lib
$ otool -L libFrame.dylib
libFrame.dylib:
        /path/1/lib/libFrame.1.dylib (compatibility version 2.0.0,
current version 2.0.0)
        /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0,
current version 111.1.3)
        /usr/lib/libgcc_s.1.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0,
current version 1.0.0)

Is this the expected behaviour, or is there something wrong in my setup?

Cheers

Adam